Tuesday, August 7, 2012

We are off to see the wizard (and listen, too)...




About 5 minutes into the listening of THE WIZARD OF OZ by L. Frank Baum (Listening Library, 2012), I became acutely aware that I had somehow missed reading the original classic as a child. I do remember the first time I saw the movie. I also confess that each time it is on TV, I watch it again. I love the music and the colors and the spectacle. How, I wondered, would I react to this story that was a tad familiar but veered off in unexpected directions? As it turned out, I adored the audiobook as well. I understand why decisions were made for the movie version, but children do deserve to hear the original as well. Rich with motifs and archetypes, Baum knew how to tell a story that would not only entertain children but adults as well. Brooke Shields is the narrator for this audio version. Next road trip with the family, load this one up and enjoy the adventure. <428>

No comments:

Post a Comment