Friday, March 23, 2012

Catching up with more winning titles



National Book Award winner and Newbery Honor Medal winner INSIDE OUT AND BACK AGAIN by Thanhha Lai (Harper 2011) is the story of ten year old Ha who must leave her beloved Saigon for America. It is no longer safe to live in the place of her birth, so the family is just one of thousands who flee Vietnam and come to America. This novel in verse tells of Ha experiences in America, especially in her neighborhood and school, two places where Ha and her family are truly considered "foreign." The story is fast moving and powerful. <141>

One note: is it not interesting that all 3 Newbery books are historical fiction this year?

3 comments:

  1. I am so amazed at the depth of historical fiction novels. I wish more of our students would read them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do offer a lot to learn because they make 'boring' fun with fictional characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy historical fiction...it's one of my favorite genres. I have that my students really connect to them as well. It's also a great way to get in more history!!

    ReplyDelete