Saturday, November 19, 2011

PS (not post script but pooper scooper)




Remember the old adage not to judge a book by its cover. That is true for THE PS BROTHERS by Maribeth Boelts (Sandpiper 2011). PS in this case stands for pooper scoopers. On the surface, this is the story of two boys who decide to go into business as pooper scoopers in order to buy a dog to share. However, there is much more to the story. Russell lives with his uncle now that his mother has died and his father has been sent to jail for theft. Shawn comes from a family with lots of siblings and little money. The two most often hang out in Russell's place, a camper on his uncle's lawn. They long to own a dog and when they find some puppies for sale, they just need to come up with a way to earn the $100. Plenty of humor here but also a good deal of pathos. Reluctant readers will appreciate both plus the short chapters. <582>

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like something my son would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school has a need for addtional high interest, easy readers. This is the type of humor that appeals to a lot of intermediate students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always on the lookout for books that interest my reluctant readers. I think the boys would like this book. Not only does it have male protagonists, but it centers around a dog. My guys like dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a book that I would recommend to students at my school. Many deal with the sad issues that these characters go through and I feel they would definately relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great book to read to the entire class. Students could relate to work for something they always wanted and how to go and obtain it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter's teacher assigns her students a book from a class set every month. After reading the book studens are to creatively come up with a way of showing the literary elements pertaining to each book read. The PS Brothers seems like a nice book for a class set. I wonder what kind of projects students would come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could see my twin sons doing something like this. They are always up to something. I will have to suggest they read it.

    ReplyDelete