Sunday, October 9, 2011

machines with problems



I adore Otis. He is back in OTIS AND THE TORNADO (Philomel 2011). This anthropomorphized tractor has the most expressive "face" ever witnessed in a book for young readers. Loren Long imbues Otis with headlamp eyes that immediately convey emotions to readers. As the title indicates, Otis will face a rather frightening situation in the form a tornado. First, though, there is the bull. <511>



UNDER THE HOOD is a lift the flap book by Merlin (Candlewick Press 2011). Lift the flaps and see what is causing so much trouble with Mr. Bear's car. Wonderfully interactive and sure to appeal to all mechanically or not so mechanically inclined. <512>

3 comments:

  1. Too cute! Otis reminds me of Thomas the Tank Engine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these for my little ones. They're fascinated by flap books. I'd probably use UNDER THE HOOD for read alouds. Flap books are delicate and I've had bad luck with most of mine getting ripped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These two books would definitely be a great addition to our school library.

    ReplyDelete